In this series we pose the age old questions to a wide array of music lovers. As fans of music most of us keep a mental list of active bands we want to see live that we haven’t yet seen. The Bucketlist brings to you those lists of your favorite artists and why those bands mean so much to them.
Formed in 2013 New Jersey metalcore band Counterfeit Culture perfectly blends gut wrenching harsh vocals and clean melodies together for a perfectly balanced style and sound. Not only do the New Jersey quartet—Nick Broglio [vocals], Patrick Robertson [guitar], Elijah Pagan [bass], and Chris Smith [drums]—shake up heavy music, but they also shake up pop culture at large, ripping conventions to shreds with an artful amalgam of intricate metallic musicianship and alternative-inspired melodies. Counterfeit Culture, who are set to release Deathwish, their new three track EP on August 1st. You”ll find in the EP, the reoccurring theme of domestic and drug abuse that the band heavily advocates against. The members initially met in 2015 while still in high school. They quickly built a local buzz, performing with top-notch acts such as Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, Like Moth To Flames, The Plot In You, Erra, Thy Art Is Murder, Invent, Animate, and many more. In 2017, they worked with producer Ricky Armellino [Currents, This Or The Apocalypse] and mixer Taylor Larson [Periphery, Darkest Hour] on what would become ‘Deathwish’.
As fans of music we always keep a long list of bands we want to see live, knocking a few off each year. Musicians and band members are no different. There are bands they are inspired by that they want to see live and just haven’t had the chance to yet. We had the opportunity to speak with Counterfeit Culture drummer Chris Smith and see what bands he wants to see that he hasn’t yet had the opportunity to. Here is his bucketlist:
1. Northlane– This band has always been a huge influence to us. They have such a unique style and are astonishing song writers. They put on a fantastic and wild show, which is why they are number one on our bucket list.
2. Trophy eyes– This is probably one of our favorite alt rock bands at the moment. Their songs are so energetic and catchy. This band cannot put out a bad song, and we feel like they put on a top notch performance.
3. Counterparts– Another band that all of us love listening to. We love the message counterparts puts in their songs along with the emotional songwriting. We love to scream along with the lyrics seeing this band live.
4. Architects– This band has been one of our favorites since their first album. They’re vocals and guitars are indistinguishable, which is why this band stuck out to us. We would love to hear and see them perform live.
5. Despised icon– Such a heavy band with a brutal sound. This band is probably one of the biggest influences on all metal bands that came out after them. They recently came back together and released a new album and have been doing some shows. We would love the see the carnage that must go on there.
6. Tyler, the creator– Tyler and Odd Future have been one of our favorite rappers/groups for a while now and surprisingly, we have yet to see him live. Tyler and OF has put such an impact on the hip-hop community. They have such an energetic feel and they’re shows have the same feel as a metal show, which is a big reason we would love to see him live.
7. Deftones– To this day this band hasn’t put out a bad album. They progress more each album and it makes them have such a beautiful yet heavy sound. It’s incredible, and it would be amazing to see this band perform they’re music.
8. Legend– Such a crazy band, probably some of the heaviest riffs and breakdowns. We’re so upset we weren’t able to see this band back when they were putting it their first few albums, but they recently put out some new stuff and it would be so awesome to see them live if they come around.
9. Chon– This band is one of the most talented acts out right now. Seeing them play their complex music live would be so entertaining.
10. Novelists– This band recently put out a fantastic single. Their guitar work in their songs is absolutely insane, making almost everyone of their songs a masterpiece. Seeing them play live would surely be incredible.
Counterfeit Culture is certainly a band that should also make any metalcore fans bucketlist. Make sure to see them on the Sayreville, New Jersey July 28th date of The Summer Slaughter Tour where they will be playing along side legendary bands like The Black Dahlia Murder, Dying Fetus, The Faceless, Rings Of Saturn and Origin.